We have been chartered by ACM’s Chief Operating Officer on May 07, 2018. Below you will find the bylaws under which we will operate as an ACM Chapter:
Article I : Name
This organization shall be called: K. N. Toosi University of Technology ACM Student Chapter. In these Bylaws, it is referred to as the Chapter; the Association for Computing Machinery is referred to as ACM.
Article II : Purpose
- The Chapter is organized and will be operated exclusively for
educational and scientific purposes to promote the following:
- a. An increased knowledge of and greater interest in the science, design, development, construction, languages, management and applications of modern computing.
- Greater interest in computing and its applications.
- A means of communication between persons having an interest in computing.
- The Chapter will serve students at K. N. Toosi University of Technology and other interested persons in the community.
- The Chapter is chartered by ACM.
Article III : Membership
- Membership in the Student Chapter shall be open to all ACM members and nonmembers.
- Voting membership in the Student Chapter shall be granted to all active Chapter members.
Article IV : Officers
- The officers of this Chapter shall be: Chair, Vice Chair, and Treasurer. These individuals must be ACM Student Members. In addition, a Faculty Sponsor with an ACM Professional Membership is required. Other officers may also be established.
- The officers shall be elected by a plurality of votes cast at the annual election meeting or via electronic voting and serve for a minimum of one year.
- Appointment or nomination of an individual to an officer position within an ACM Chapter shall be in general limited to two full consecutive terms in the same position. This recommendation is intended to encourage the continuing infusion of new volunteers into the organization and to encourage officeholders to give thought to planning for their successor.
Article V : Duties of Officers
- The Chair is the principal officer and is responsible for leading the Chapter and managing its activities in accordance with the policies and procedures of ACM and these bylaws.
- The Vice Chair shall preside at meetings in the absence of the Chair, assist the Chair in the management of the Chapter, and perform other duties that may be assigned by the Chair.
- The Treasurer shall keep the minutes of all Chapter meetings and maintain the Chapter’s financial records. Other duties include:
- Collecting dues, paying all bills, and maintaining records for the Chapter.
- Preparation of the Chapter’s annual report and officer contact information, and submission of these to ACM Headquarters via the Chapter Administrative Interface.
- Submission of any proposed amendment to these bylaws must be submitted to ACM Headquarters – Chapters Department. Proposed amendments must be approved before they can be submitted to the Chapter’s membership for a vote.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Chair.
- The Faculty Sponsor shall be a faculty member or full-time staff member of your school. Each Student Chapter has one Sponsor.
- The Faculty Sponsor shall be a voting member of ACM and either a member of the faculty or full-time staff of K. N. Toosi University of Technology
- The Faculty Sponsor shall be generally responsible for the activities of the Chapter. Specifically, the Sponsor:
- helps provide continuity from year to year as student leadership and
- promotes good student-faculty relationships
- helps maintain university standards in all activities of the Chapter
- exercises financial supervision, if necessary, by promoting prompt payment of bills and collection of dues, and overseeing the settlement of all accounts in the event of dissolution of the Chapter
- represents the Chapter interests to the faculty and administration
Article VI : Meetings
- The Chapter shall hold meetings only in places that are open and accessible to all members of the Association.
- An annual election meeting should be held. At this meeting, the Treasurer will present the required reports. Also, the election of officers shall be held.
- Notices of all meetings shall be distributed to all members at least one week prior to any meeting.
Article VII : Disbursements and Dues
- Disbursements from the Treasury for Chapter expenditures shall be made by any active Chapter officer and shall be included in the minutes of its meetings.
- Dues shall be fixed annually.
Article VIII : Amendment and Voting Procedure
- All proposed changes to these Chapter Bylaws shall be approved by ACM Headquarters – Chapters Department before being presented to the Chapter membership for a vote.
- No official business of the Chapter shall be conducted unless a quorum is present. A quorum of the Chapter shall be defined as a majority of the voting membership of the Chapter.
- Officers will be elected by a plurality of votes cast.
Article IX : Code of Conduct
1. Harassment or hostile behavior is unwelcome, including speech that intimidates, creates discomfort, or interferes with a person’s participation or opportunity for participation, in a Chapter meeting or Chapter event. Harassment in any form, including but not limited to harassment based on alienage or citizenship, age, color, creed, disability, marital status, military status, national origin, pregnancy, childbirth- and pregnancy-related medical conditions, race, religion,
gender, veteran status or any other status protected by laws in which the Chapter meeting or Chapter event is being held, will not be tolerated. A response that the
participant was “just joking,” or “teasing,” or being “playful,” will not be accepted.
2. Anyone witnessing or subject to unacceptable behavior should notify a Chapter officer or ACM Headquarters.
3. Individuals violating these standards may be sanctioned or excluded from further participation at the discretion of the Chapter officers or responsible committee members.
Article X : Dissolution of the Chapter
1. Dissolution of this Chapter by consent of the members shall consist of unanimous agreement of all its officers together with a majority vote at a meeting which has been publicized in advance to all members of the Chapter for the purpose of taking this vote.
2. Should this Chapter be dissolved, its assets and liabilities shall be transferred to ACM and shall be supervised by the ACM Finance Director. Funds given to the Chapter from the University shall be returned to the University.